Examples of headend calculation
The examples will be from Russian practice
but the approach used works all around the world
In this article, we’ll review 2 common cases when your company needs to deploy its own headend.
1. You are a telecom provider and you want to provide TV services to your subscribers. As an option – as OTT operator.
You are going to broadcast:
2. II. You are a hotel owner
Television for the hotel ages ago has become not only one of the whims of the guests, but
a way to improve the quality of service and profit.
Therefore, the diversity of channels necessarily in several languages is considered as a good tone.
So, most likely, you plan to broadcast:
- Two multiplexes of federal channels that can be received on a regular terrestrial antenna and doesn’t require to conclude an agreement with the RTRS.
- TV channels of the satellite operator For example, we will calculate that you need 100 channels and they are located on 14 transponders.
- Foreign channels are the most difficult moment. Some channels can be obtained from open Internet broadcasting or in an open form from the
satellite, but if the required channels are encrypted, then you need to use the original STB receiver of the selected satellite operator (or several)
and encode the signal before the broadcast.
- Own advertising channel, and maybe not one. For example, separate channels for advertising for different zones – restaurant, SPA, etc...
For both cases in order to solve these problems, you need:
- NetUP Streamer 8x - 2 pieces for receiving up to 16 satellite transponders, as well as TV channels
from the broadcasting center RTRS or the Internet. NetUP Streamer headends in addition to receiving the signal from the antennas also
allow receiving channels from IP-operators in various formats from UDP to HLS, including encrypted. Therefore, you do not need additional
equipment to relay such channels. As a saving, you can also replace two NetUP Streamer 8x with one NetUP Streamer 16x.
- NetUP Streamer HD SDI designed for receiving HD-SDI signal from studios, encoding in MPEG-4 and further broadcasting.
This model is produced in 4 and 8 channel version - depending on how many channels you need to process.
NetUP Streamer HDMI for encoding streams from satellite receivers via HDMI.
The model is available in versions for 4, 8, 12, 16, 20 and 24 inputs.
- NetUP MyTV module software that allows you to upload videos to the server, transcode them if necessary, compose
playlists and broadcast them into the network as a separate channel. This software can be installed on the NetUP Streamer headend or on a separate server.
For detailed calculation please contact our managers.
We wish success to you and your business!